His stoic, stone hard gaze peered into the distance. Ace’s brow furrowed only slightly, showing no lurch in emotion. Yet a sense of loss bore into him like a twisted knife. He knew that somewhere, one of his team mates had just perished.
He felt it.
An enigmatic protagonist, writing out a bio for Ace Mcdagger is tricky without giving too much away. Maybe this was a bad idea, but there are a few facts on offer about his upbringing and in the creation of the character.
He wears an eye patch over his left eye, adorned with a golden cross; a leaving gift from his training instructor. Ace wore it to cover a disfigurement – his eye works fine, but it had been infected when he was a child – and Ace liked to cover it to spare other people the sight.
Ace’s earliest memory is of being brought up a laboratory. His parents were scientists. At some point when he was a child, his eye became infected with a virus, but Ace has no idea why or how this happened.
He used to visit England sometimes, staying at his grandmother’s house. On one seemingly normal day, his laboratory home was destroyed. His parents seemingly died, and only vague recollections of that day remain with Ace. These memories are partly repressed, partly diminished with time. Because of this, Ace tends to be rather rigid when it comes to his personal life. Otherwise, he is relatively loose and outgoing.
He was later raised by relatives in England, attending the same school as his cousin Damian Hassler, and his good friend Shimon Arkasone. The pair of them have stayed around for all of his life, and the three are as close as brothers. Ace was a typically British teenage lad, going to pubs and loitering around with his mates. He met girls, and had a few, brief relationships. But nothing serious.
Ace admits to smoking and a trying marijuana, briefly, but knew he needed to stay away from them in order to apply for the army. All in all, a lot of Ace’s adolescent life was spent killing time, waiting for some purpose of his being to come along.
When first introduced in Call of the Conjurer, Ace is a determined young man, sometimes up for a lark, but severely devoted to military life. His army career was decided from an early age. Both Ace and Shimon were set to join the military for a lack of any better prospects in their home town, but they did so gladly, and spent some time fighting in Afghanistan between 2002 and 2003, until Ace’s Awakening occurred.
Trapped a room and surrounded by hostiles, a grenade detonated. Ace survived, utterly unharmed, while the men around him all died. Ace was unable to explain his escape. This keeps occurring; Ace is able to survive otherwise mortal perils. It seems that he is unkillable, although he dares not to push his luck too much.
On top of this, Ace is becoming more aware that he can see the souls of the dead, moments after they have perished.
His weapons of choice are the shotgun and the scythe, both holding significance to Ace and his history. He is a competent fighter and gifted magician, able to wield the elemental forces with ease.
Most soldiers train to use Elemental magic by using military grade Auralithalain jewels. This is hardened magic. The very essences of the eight elemental forces of the Universal sometimes become so dense that they solidify. Scientists for the Hidden Government know how to extract this power, and hand them out to soldiers to fight off creature that may be impervious to physical harm.
Ace trained the same as any other Hidden Government soldier, and learned to use magic in the same manner, but it seems that he has better control of the elements than most; a magical capability far beyond his years. Perhaps he never even needed to learn these spells; he was born with them. He was born with an ability to manipulate the world around him, along with his invincibility and close association to the dead.
It seems that Ace Mcdagger is more of a force of nature than a man. Perhaps his place in the world, his purpose, is beyond the mortal coil of humankind.
Time will tell. One day he will know.
• His full name is Ace Jagger Mcdagger. Seriously, if you thought his name was ridiculous enough already, his middle honorific is Jagger. I forget where this originated from, or if there was a reason at all, but his name Ace does have a lot of relevance.
- First of all; he is the central, key character for the series.
- He is a great shot, with a shotgun particularly.
- He is a singular entity; the sole individual with a great, pre-written destiny ahead of him. A lot of his true role in the Universe has yet to be revealed, but things are trickling in slowly.
* Update Edit; James tells that Ace’s middle name is Jagger because has dad was a Rolling Stones fan. Makes the most sense.
• An explanation for Ace’s eyepatch does exist in the story, but the real reason is more of a homage to a real British hero.
• His specific shotgun of choice is the Benelli M3 Tactical.
• It is often remarked that Ace is particularly tall. He was the tallest of the recruits in Call of the Conjurer, and is 6’1″.
• While not often mentioned in the stories, Ace briefly attended a Catholic boarding school when he moved to England permanently. He has been scared of nuns ever since.
• His other greatest fear is nuclear war.
Designs of Ace between 1996 to 2014